Sunday, May 5, 2013

Test Prep: Scoot

A couple months ago I attended a PD on a variety of test prep games that could be used as we prepared our students for AIMS, our state mandated test.  One of my favorites that I walked away with and used that very week is a game called Scoot.  I created a game to review Order of Operations, Factoring, Prime & Composite, and Multiplication/Division problems.  I have 25 students, so I had 25 problems written on index cards.  Each index card then had a number, 1-25 written on the opposite side.  I placed one card on each desk.  I started the music (KidzBop are  great albums because they have the popular songs of today sung by kids so they're classroom appropriate) and they had roughly 2-3 minutes to solve the problem on their card.  Once they finished, their answer should've been written in the corresponding box.  So, for example, if a student had card number 16, than their answer would be written in box 16.  When the music shut off, they moved to the next seat and completed a new problem.  Once they had worked their way through all 25 problems, we graded their papers as a class.  The student who earned the highest score had one night of no homework the following week.  It's a fantastic motivator for the class to work super diligently in completing the problems correctly because what kid doesn't want a night of no homework?  This is definitely a test prep activity that I'm going to keep in mind next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment