Sunday, May 5, 2013

Book Study: Flip Your Classroom - Chapter 4

I have started to read Flip Your Classroom by Aaron Sams and Jonathan Bergmann.  After each chapter, I will highlight key concepts and any other noteworthy ideas that will enhance my understanding of the idea, as well as how to implement it within my 4th grade classroom.
Chapter 4: How to Implement the Flipped Classroom
  • Don't make a video just for the sake of it.  Think about what instructional tool would best teach the content to your students.
  • Use other teachers' videos if you do not feel comfortable being on camera.  Check out YouTube for videos or other video sharing sites.
  • When making your own videos, you can use Camtasia Studio, which is a screencasting program.  It will capture whatever is on your computer screen, as well as your voice, and any annotations that you make with a digital pen.  You can also videotape all of your lessons for one year and then turn them into videos the following year for your students to view. 
  • Four steps to making a video:
    • Plan the lesson
    • Record the video
    • Edit the video
    • Publish the video
  •  Side Note: I will be using the iPad app, Show Me, to make my videos.  This app allows me to draw, upload pictures and describe what is going on in real time.  The videos can then be easily uploaded to the internet and then embedded into Edmodo, which is a site I use a lot with my students, or any other site.  
  • Making videos your students will love:
    • Keep it short: remember bite-sized pieces of information ... 10-15 minutes.
    • Animate your voice
    • Create videos with other teachers (I need to remember this!)
    • Add humor
    • Don't waste your students' time: keep to the topic
    • Add annotations
    • Add callouts: a text box that focuses on key content/steps
    • Zoom in and out
  • You must evaluate and redesign your class time once students begin watching videos as their homework.  

No comments:

Post a Comment